We are pleased to announce the 2022 CyLab Partners Conference!
The CyLab Annual Partners Conference highlights the latest research in security and privacy with an interactive forum between faculty, students, and industry. We are excited to welcome our guests back to campus for this year’s three-day event, which will include more than 40 faculty and student presentations. All sessions will consist of brief talks, followed by active dialogue with our attendees.
Attendance is limited to invited guests, representatives of CyLab's partners, and CMU CyLab faculty, staff, and students. We will provide additional information in the coming weeks.
Some of the conference’s talks will be live streamed. We will send instructions on accessing these hybrid presentations the day before the event.
For information on hotels and transportation please see our "Visiting CyLab" page.
This agenda is subject to change.
Tuesday, October 25, 2022 (EST)
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Breakfast and Registration
9:20 a.m. - 10:20 a.m. – Session I: Machine Learning and Analytics (Part 1)
- Carlee Joe-Wong: “Personalization as a Defense Mechanism in Federated Learning”
- Corina Pasareanu and Ravi Mangal: "Verifications Techniques for Autonomous Systems"
- Hoda Heidari: "A Validity Perspective on Evaluating the Justified Use of Data-driven Decision-making Algorithms"
- Shannon Gallagher: "What Type of Organizational Threats do Deep Fakes Present?"
10:20 a.m.- 10:35 a.m. – Break
10:35 a.m. - 11:20 a.m. - Session I: Machine Learning and Analytics (Part 2)
- Matt Fredrikson: "Using Automated Theorem Proving in Machine Learning, with a Focus on Tasks Related to Vulnerability Analysis"
- Terrance Liu: "Synthetic Data with Formal Privacy Guarantee"
- Rita Singh: "Privacy Issues in Voice Applications"
11:20 a.m. - 12:05 p.m. - Session II: Hardware and Network Security (Part 1)
- Bryan Parno: "End-to-End Verification for Security Protocols"
- Hun Namkung: "Optimizing Sketch-based Telemetry on Programmable Switches for Diverse Concurrent Queries"
- Milind Srivastava: "Automatically Uncovering Firewall Evasion Opportunities"
12:05 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Lunch and Student Poster Session
1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. - Session II: Hardware and Network Security (Part 2)
- Dimitrios Skarlatos: "Hardware and OS Support for Confidential Computing"
- Yucheng Yin: "Netshare: An Open Source System for Generating Synthetic Network Packet and Flow Header Traces"
- Cathy Bernaciak: "Challenges and Opportunities for Near-term Quantum Applications"
2:15 p.m. - 2:35 p.m. – CyLab Distinguished Alumni Award Presentation: Lorrie Cranor
2:35 p.m. - 2:50 p.m. – Break
2:50 p.m. - 4:50 p.m. - Session III: IoT Security and Privacy
- Clement Fung: "Detecting and Explaining Anomalies in Industrial Control"
- Brian Singer: "Shedding Light on Inconsistencies in Grid Cybersecurity: Disconnects and Recommendations"
- Eunsuk Kang: "Robustness Analysis for Secure System Design"
- Aswin Sankaranarayanan: "Privacy-aware Visual Sensing"
- Mansi Sood: "Design of Scalable, Reliable and Robust Ad-hoc Networks with Random K-out Graphs"
- Haohong Lin: "Cybersecurity and Safety in Autonomous Systems"
- Yuvraj Agarwal: "Towards Trustworthy IoT Systems"
- Rahul Sharma: "Lumen: A Framework for Developing and Evaluating ML-Based IoT Network Anomaly Detection"
4:50 p.m. - 4:55 p.m. – End-of-day remarks: Lorrie Cranor
6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Dinner Reception (more details to come)
Wednesday, October 26, 2022 (EST)
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Breakfast and Registration
9:00 a.m. - 9:05 a.m - Welcome / Introduction to Day 2: Lorrie Cranor
9:05 a.m.-9:35 a.m. - Partnerships and initiatives
- Partnership program updates: Michael Lisanti
- Future Enterprise Security
- Secure Blockchain: Ariel Zetlin-Jones
9:35 a.m. - 10:35 a.m. – Session IV: Human Factors in Privacy and Security (Part 1)
- Lorrie Cranor: "Mobile App Privacy Nutrition Labels Missing Key Ingredients for Success"
- Tianshi Li: "An IDE Plugin for Helping Developers Create Accurate Privacy Nutrition Labels"
- Norman Sadeh: "Why Usability has become Privacy's Biggest Challenge and What We Can do About it"
- Hana Habib: "Exploring Values-Based Interventions for Preventing Online Hate"
10:35 a.m. - 10:50 a.m. - Break
10:50 a.m. - 11:50 a.m. – Session IV: Human Factors in Privacy and Security (Part 2)
- Yinuo Du (Coty Gonzalez): "Towards Human-AI Cyber Defense Teams with Cognitive Models"
- Dan Costa: "Recent Developments in Managing Insider Threat"
- Sauvik Das: "Privacy Through Design: Towards Practical Guidance for Foregrounding Consumer Privacy in the Design of AI Products"
- Alessandro Acquisti: “The Long Term Economic Impact of Privacy Regulation”
11:50 a.m. - 1:05 p.m. – Lunch and Student Poster Session
1:05 p.m. - 3:05 p.m. – Session V: Software and Systems Security
- Greg Touhill: "The Modern CERT in Defense Of National Security and Prosperity"
- Limin Jia: "Making smarthomes safe for users"
- Rohan Padhye: "Fuzzing Correct Programs for Secure Software Evolution"
- Tim Chick: "Identifying Threats using a DevSecOps Platform Independent Model"
- Fraser Brown: "Automatically Detecting Browser Security Bugs"
- Ao Li (Rohan Padhye): "Automatically Uncovering Stateful Performance Vulnerabilities in Large Enterprise Software"
- Aqsa Kashaf (Vyas Sekar): "Understanding Third Party Service Dependencies in Africa-centric Web Services
- Mark Sherman: "Considerations for Building Highly Secure and Resilient Systems"
3:05 p.m. - 3:20 p.m. – Break
3:20 p.m. - 4:50 p.m. - Session VI: Blockchain and Crypto
- Bryan Routledge: "The Crypto Carry Trade -- The Importance of Derivatives Markets"
- Elaine Shi: "Foundations of Transaction Fee Mechanism Design"
- Wenting Zheng: "A Compiler Framework for Democratizing Secure Multiparty Computation"
- Jonathan Aldrich: "Obsidian: A Smart Contract Language Designed for Security and Usability"
- Aayush Jain: "Indistinguishability Obfuscation"
- Nicolas Christin: "Dark Web Measurements"
4:50 p.m. - 4:55 p.m. – Closing remarks: Lorrie Cranor
4:55 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Social Reception and Student Poster Session
Thursday, October 27, 2022 (EST)
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Lab Tours and Demos
- CONIX: Anthony Rowe
- Biometrics Lab: Marios Savvides
TBD - FutureEnterprise@CyLab Kick-Off (Sponsors Only)
Special thanks to our program committee: Lorrie Cranor, Lujo Bauer, Mark Sherman, Osman Yagan, Michael Lisanti, Ryan Gent, Isabelle Glassmith, Jamie Scanlon, and Danyel Kusbit.