Trustworthy Computing Platforms and Devices
Cross Cutting Thrusts
David Brumley is the Bosch Security and Privacy Professor at CMU, a Professor in ECE with an appointment in CS, and a founding member and academic advisor for a world ranked competitive hacking team. His research interests include all areas of security, with a specialization in software security. Prof. Brumley received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University, an M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University, and a B.A. in Mathematics from the University of Northern Colorado. Brumley's honors include a United States Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) from President Obama, a 2013 Sloan Foundation award and numerous best paper awards. Brumley's security startup ForAllSecure won the DARPA Cyber Grand Challenge that tested fully autonomous full-spectrum attack and defense cyber reasoning systems.
Prof. Brumley is currently on leave of absence to grow his startup, ForAllSecure.Visit Dr. Brumley's website for more information.
Cross Cutting Thrusts: Software Security | Formal Methods
Researchers: David Brumley, Maverick Woo, Manuel EgeleCross Cutting Thrusts: Software Security | Formal Methods
Researcher: David BrumleyCross Cutting Thrusts: Software Security
Researchers: David Brumley, Andres JagerResearch Area: Trustworthy Computing Platforms and Devices | Privacy Protection
Cross Cutting Thrusts: Cryptography
Researchers: David Brumley, Jonathan McCune
"Automatic Exploit Generation". Thanassis Avgerinos, Sang Kil Cha, Alexandre Rebert, Edward J. Schwartz, Maverick Woo, and David Brumley. Communications of the ACM, 57(2):74–84, 2014.
"Enhancing Symbolic Execution with Veritesting". Thanassis Avgerinos, Alexandre Rebert, Sang Kil Cha, and David Brumley. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering, pages 1083–1094, New York, New York, USA, 2014. ACM Press.
"ByteWeight: Learning to Recognize Functions in Binary Code". Tiffany Bao, Jonathan Burket, Maverick Woo, Rafael Turner, and David Brumley. In Proceedings of the 23rd USENIX Security Symposium, pages 845–860. USENIX, 2014.
"Blanket Execution: Dynamic Similarity Testing for Program Binaries and Components". Manuel Egele, Maverick Woo, Peter Chapman, and David Brumley. In Proceedings of the 23rd USENIX Security Symposium, pages 303–317. USENIX, 2014.
"Optimizing Seed Selection for Fuzzing". Alexandre Rebert, Sang Kil Cha, Thanassis Avgerinos, Jonathan Foote, David Warren, Gustavo Grieco, and David Brumley. In Proceedings of the 23rd USENIX Security Symposium, pages 861–875. USENIX, 2014.
"An Empirical Study of the Cryptographic Misuse in Android Applications".
Egele, M., Brumley, D. J., Fratantonio, Y., & Kruegel, C. (2013). ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security Proceedings.
"Native x86 Decompilation using Semantics-Preserving Structural Analysis and Iterative Control-Flow Structuring".
Brumley, D. J., Lee, J., Schwartz, E. J., & Woo, M. (2013). USENIX Security Symposium.
"Scheduling Black-box Mutational Fuzzing".
Woo, M., Cha, S. K., Gottlieb, S., & Brumley, D. J. (2013). ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security Proceedings.
"Towards Automatic Software Lineage Inference".
Jang, J., Woo, M., & Brumley, D. J. (2013). USENIX Security Symposium.
"Unleashing Mayhem on Binary Code".
S. K. Cha, T. Avgerinos, A. Rebert, and D. J. Brumley. IEEE Security and Privacy, 2012.
- CyLab-inspired Curriculum Leads to 3rd “Cyberstakes” Hacking Competition for US Service Academies
- CyLab’s David Brumley to Co-Chair First Ever “Enigma” Conference
- Carnegie Mellon Partners with the NSA Day of Cyber Program
- Bosch Group, CMU Announce $2.5M for New Faculty Research Chair in CyLab
- Army War College Visits CyLab for Program on Cybersecurity and Privacy
CyLab Tech Reports
- (CMU-CyLab-10-022) BitShred: Fast, Scalable Malware Triage
- (CMU-CyLab-10-006) BitShred: Fast, Scalable Code Reuse Detection in Binary Code
- (CMU-CyLab-10-002) Efficient Directionless Weakest Preconditions (Revised July 14, 2010)
- Who's Been Peeking at Your Data?
- Beating Them at Their Own Game: These Hackers Wear White Hats
- CyLab Researchers Share Compelling Work with Silicon Valley Thought Leaders, Technical Experts, Law Enforcement Officials and Media at Fall 2014 Executive Briefing
- 2014 CyLab Partners Conference Explores Latest Research Into Vital Cyber Security and Privacy Issues
- A Glimpse Into the 9th Annual CyLab Partners Conference